Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Happy, Healthy Fruit Smoothies

One of the ways I reward myself when I actually go to the gym is by making myself a refreshing smoothie to enjoy afterward.

A cool treat on hot evenings. And can be pretty good for you too.

So, to celebrate today's gym night, I made a smoothie batch and will share it here with you!

**************************
Smoothie Q & A

What's in a smoothie?
  • Whatever you want to put into it--fruit, juice, yogurt, flaxseed, etc. etc.
What do I need to make one?
  • A Blender
  • A Spatula
  • Another Spatula (a backup for when you chop up the first one by accident)
Specific Ingredients?
  • Bags of Frozen Fruit
  • Fruit Juice, Milk, Soy Milk, Rice Milk--any liquid you prefer
  • A Banana?
  • Yogurt?
  • FLAXSEED meal--(provides Omega-3's, yea!)
*****************************

As you can see, I have filled my blender with frozen fruit (peaches, pineapple, mixed berry blend), Pomegranate juice, and 2 Tbsp. Flaxseed Meal

Put the lid on the blender.
Turn it on.

And...voila! ...Wait!--your smoothie is not blended. (What??)

Now comes the most important part of the directions. The rest of making your smoothie is completed by the very scientific process that I like to call, "Trial and Error". Most likely, you will need to add more liquid, if your smoothie started out like mine looks.

But if it gets too watery, then you'll need to throw in some more frozen fruits or a banana. I use a spatula to push the chunky fruit at the top down to the mixing blades. I have killed about 4 spatulas this way. (Always keep a spare around! That must be why they often come in 2-packs.)

In the end, it should look something like this:

















Today, I enjoyed a half glass smoothie, and made SMOOTHIE POPS! Check out my new toy that I just got on amazon.com--homemade popsicle molds. You probably already know this, but when I was growing up in Ohio, your mom didn't love you if she didn't make you homemade pops! (We never even knew what store-bought pops were.) Underground Thought of the Day:
It is so true, now more than ever: Homemade IS Better. It's a delicious fruity treat--WITHOUT high fructose corn syrup--woohoo!

4 comments:

  1. Yum, smoothies! And smoothie pops! I haven't thought about making a smoothie in forever, but this makes me want one.

    And I think it's hilarious that you've destroyed so many spatulas this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just discovering a host of g/f blogs via Cathy's blog (Cateepoo). Such great recipes, I'm off to read more! Thanks for posting them.

    My blog is about family life, arthritis and coeliac disease (UK spelling) I wrote a post recently if you feel like checking it out -

    http://joanne-helpinghands.blogspot.com/2009/05

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like treating myself with a smoothie also. Sometimes, one of the kids will make it for me! I bought a Magic Bullet and really love it. It's easy for the kids to use too. Pomegranate juice sounds delish, and I like the popsicle idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, we love your blog and would like to invite you to list it in our Blog Directory at www.bigblogcollection.com

    ReplyDelete