Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mexican Rice


I said I had some recipes up my sleeve.  You will love this.  When I make this recipe, I usually double it (approximately), and never freeze any.  That's because I can count on myself eating it all up right away.  Pretty much, I just use large portions as meals, often with sides of plain frozen veggies (broccoli, mixed vegs, peas, green beans, etc).

Mexican Rice
  • 1 cup rice
  • 1 cup broth (usually chicken)
  • 1 cup tomatoes--chopped, diced, whole, whatever, & juice (canned or fresh)
  • chopped onion (1/3 cup or more, about 1 medium onion)
  • oil--3Tbsps?
Heat oil in skillet or saucepan.
Add rice and stir until white (be careful not to burn--keep stirring).
Add onion, broth and tomatoes.
Bring to a boil. 
Turn heat down to simmer.
Cover and don't lift lid for 1/2 hour.

Enjoy!

This recipe is from my Aunt Loretta, who got it from her friend of Mexican heritage.  It's so simple, yet so good.  I hope you like it as much as I do.  

Underground tip:  I usually go heavy on the onions.  MMMM, flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment