Sunday, March 14, 2010

Scones

This morning, I tried the recipe for scones on the Gluten Free Gourmand's blog.  I haven't ever made scones before, and rarely eat them.  But life is about learning and trying new things, so I thought I'd try these out.

I made them with my favorite flour blend, which is 2 parts rice four, 1 part potato starch, and 1 part tapioca flour/starch (so, 1 cup rice, 1/2 cup potato, 1/2 cup tapioca).  With a little xantham gum.  I used 1/4 tsp. as she indicated in the recipe.


I used half and half instead of real cream.  I can't believe how fattening cream is (or half and half).  I will definitely look into using an alternative in the future, like perhaps the coconut cream?  Or maybe almond milk or something?

As for the added ingredients, I used what I had around, dried cranberries and chocolate chips.  If I make them again, I will use cranberries, but not the chocolate chips.  I think the chocolate made the scones too sweet.  So they are scones, trying to be a cookie, it seems.  They should make up their mind, these scones, to either be a cookie or a scone.  By taking out the chocolate, I believe I will help them secure a true identity of being a scone.

Anyway, my batch of these came out a little stickier than probably the recipe author's.  The idea of cutting the dough apart and separate them on the baking sheet did not work well.  Check it out:


But they baked up nicely, and I drizzled a little icing on them.  They're a good dessert scone, and I'll enjoy passing them out to friends and coworkers.  They are a good consistency.  It's a good recipe.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I gotta find the recipe I used before. They came out good. I did them with raisins and topped with raw sugar. Soooo good...

    ReplyDelete