Tuesday, December 29, 2009

End of the year

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.  I was busy trekking all over the state for gigs, so I didn't get a chance to write anything here.  But I ate a lot of individually wrapped cheese and other snack-type gluten free foods during that time!  (Also ate at Posana Cafe in Asheville, NC--which was AMAZING!--review to come).

Anyway, the end of the year is a good time to think back and remember the positive things, as well as the things we'd like to improve upon in the upcoming year.

I've been thinking a great deal lately about my approach to eating out vs. at home.  I mean, how much of each should I do?  How can I make my life easier, as well as safer?

The bottom line, unfortunately, is that you can't really guarantee yourself that you won't be glutened by outside foods unless they are prepared in a true, exclusive, gluten-free facility.  And even then... 

That reminds me of a story.  When I had the opportunity to tour the Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakehouse, they were telling our group that they test every single ingredient that comes into the facility.  It has happened that they have received gluten-containing ingredients.  Some companies won't admit if a cross-contamination has occurred, or sometimes god forbid, they aren't aware of exactly what gluten-free means. Yikes.  Anyway, it's nice those guys are looking out for us with their testing.

What you can guarantee yourself is that non-gluten containing foods, such as vegetables, fruits, beans, etc. are still great, healthy, options.  I have started to take tons of celery, carrots, and apples to work every day to munch on at my desk.  Totally normal food, no one will suspect you're different.  They'll just think you're healthy and smart.  I can live with that!

Happy New Year!  Best wishes for a great start to your year.

2 comments:

  1. My wife is a coeliac, diagnosed twenty years ago. Will be back when I have a bit more time.
    There are some amazing gluten free blogs on the internet, some on my list of followers. Dont want to preach to the converted but if you are interested give me a comment on my blog. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete