Monday, January 26, 2009

Going Bananas

I mentioned that I used to drive 35,000 miles/yr the last couple years. Fortunately, I don't have to do that anymore. But I am on the road this week. Every evening this week I have rehearsal about 1-1/4 hour away from home. This is a challenge to eat well because I get home from job #1 and have about an hour to eat/pack/email/etc. then straight out the door, onto the highway, to job #2.

Leave home at 7:30, get home from job #1 at 4:30, leave for job #2 at 5:30, return home at 11:20.

Then write a blog.

So, how do you I eat gluten-free on the go?
Lunch, at job #1 (microwave available at lunchtime):
  • Frozen lentil stew (from crock pot that I made last week)
  • Frozen green beans
  • Yogurt
  • Banana
Dinner(?) between #1 and #2:
  • Finish leftover tomato basil pasta
  • Apple
  • Banana Bread (See recipe and photo)
But I wasn't that hungry, because it was only 4:30. So, road snacks to fill in the gap:
  • One slice banana bread in a ziplock
  • bag of Ener-G gluten free pretzels
  • one yogurt
  • Fruit leather
  • Soynuts
I only ended up eating the fruit leather, banana bread and yogurt. but I had some choices!

So that worked out for eating today. I will be having an overnight later this week and will talk about some things I take in a cooler.

************************************

Here's my recipe for Banana Bread, which is scrumptous, and easy.
  • 2 cups Flour (1 cup Rice, 1/2 cup Corn, 1/2 cup Sorgham)
  • 1 tsp Xantham Gum
  • 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
Blend together the above. In another bowl:
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups Mashed Bananas (4 or 5)
  • 3/4 cup Sugar
  • 1/3 cup Cooking Oil
Spray a 9" loaf pan with Pam. Mix the two bowls together. Fold into loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until knife comes out clean.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment