Sunday, March 22, 2009

Pancakes at home


My car is getting fixed this weekend, and I have been needing rides from friends to get to gigs this weekend. This also means I have had to make due with eating what I've got on hand. I'd like to share with you a recipe for pancakes I came up with yesterday. It was quite good.

I have noticed lately that a lot of bloggers are saying they hate using rice flour, due to its grittiness. I agree that Bob's Red Mill rice flour is gritty and ruins a lot of recipes. But I think it is because they do not grind theirs finely enough, not because there's something inherently wrong with rice flour. It is possible to get flours that are finer, and I usually buy big bags of rice flour at the Indian market. Yeah, it's from a foreign country, but so are a lot of other foods, and how do we really know how much "cleaner" or "safer" food from the USA really is (think of the peanut plant in Georgia). So at this point, I am working with this flour and hoping American producers and suppliers improve their products and prices (step up production, to lower prices). And for the time being, this flour is a lot cheaper than Bob's...

Pancakes:

  • 1 cup flour (this time I used 2/3 c. Rice, 1/3 c. Teff)
  • 1 tsp. xantham gum
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1-1/3 cup almond milk (you can use dairy milk, soymilk, whatever)
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Mix dry ingredients together, mix wet ingredients together, then combine.

The vanilla makes all the difference.

Pour into pan and cook on medium heat for a few minutes until they start to dry on top, then flip. Serve warm.

I added some frozen blueberries to the second half of the mix, so I had both plain and blueberry. This made about 9 medium size pancakes. I froze the extras in individual bags of 2 or 3, which I'll heat up for early morning breakfasts this coming week.

2 comments:

  1. these look good!! I love blueberry pancakes!

    wish I could drive this weekend for you : (

    i'm glad your car is getting fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the vanilla & always try to swirl in a little cinnamon too. I always add all kinds of fruit too - blueberries, raisins, bananas, boysenberries, strawberries, the list goes on... ;-)

    ReplyDelete